2015. ápr. 24.

Mihály Csokonai: TO HOPE





Bright apparition, born of mist
In heaven’s dome aloft,
Thou hast our tortured foreheads kissed
With laughing mouth so oft
That we,
Deceived and blinded, give our lives to thee.

And we, as to an angel guide,
Before thee ever bend;
Still dost thou near us softly glide
In likeness of a friend,
Until
We learn that thou art false and fickle still.

Why with smooth lips didst thou beguile
My trusting heart, and why
Didst thou betray me with a smile
And lure me with a lie?
Alas!
I did believe thy promise soothfast was.

My garden thou didst brightly spread
With pale narcissus sweet,
A merry brook my saplings fed,
Flowers laughed around my feet:
Spring came,
Crowned with a thousand buds and winged with
flame.

And every morn my thoughts took wing
As ’twere a nimble bee,
Untom y roses fluttering
With new felicity.
And yet
I still had food for longing and regret.

The love of Lilla* did I crave,
The crown of all my hope,
And heaven that treasure to me gave:
A golden dream did ope
And gild
The future with sweet promise unfulfilled.

My fragnant roses all are dead,
My rippling rills run dry,
My lusty trees their leaves have shed,
And sombre is the sky.
Ah, me!
The good old world no more will merry be.

Buti f, O harsh and ruthless fate,
My Lilla thou hadst left,
My song would still speak gladness great:
Though of all else bereft
With her
Sorrow could ne’er my hopeful spirit blur.

No cares had darkened the clear sky
Nor veiled the sinking sun
If she I worship had been nigh
But I am left alone
Eheu!
With her all riches callous would I view.

Since she is gone, Hope cannot stay,
For I in shadow dwell.
For liberty I long alway
And for the solemn bell
That will
Proclaim my freedom when my heart is still.

No blossoms dance along the mead,
The voiceful grove is dumb,
The phantoms of the world recede,
As death’s dark heralds come.
To you,
Visions of vanished Hope, I bid adieu.

*The poet’s beloved, who was forced by her parents to wed another.


MIHÁLY CSOKONAI (1773-1805), was the son of a surgeon, and born at Debreczen. Having early lost his father, he received the rudiments of his education from his cultured mother, and began to write poetry while still at scholl. He soon abandoned his studies, however, in order to seek at Pozsony, where Parliament was then sitting, a moble patron who might encourage his literary aspirations. This quest proved fruitless. On his homeward journey he met Julia Vajda, the „Lilla” of his famous love-songs, but she was compelled by her parents to desert the hapless poet and marry another. Ranging from comic narrative to the deepest philosophic speculations, the works of Csokonai are varied and original; buti t is by his love-songs and drinking-songs that he is best known.

Forrás: MAGYAR POEMS. SELECTED AND TRANSLATED FROM THE HUNGARIAN WITH BIOGRAPHICAL NOTES. BY NORA DE VÁLLYI AND DOROTHY M. STUART. – LONDON, E. MARLBOROUGH AND CO., 1911.


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése